Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#303906 - 07/11/2007 15:56 hijack error "0000.3 segfault" during bootup sequence
Hollywood Justin
journeyman

Two days ago I upgraded hijack for my empeg mark 2 to the latest version (479) and I did it though the jEmplode v69 interface. I had the development empeg 2.x kernel and have the config file set to automatically load emphatic. So far, so good. Since then I was able to make several syncs with no problem so I don't believe there are any conflicting or incompatible software issues. But during my last attempt I received a synchronization error while using emplode v2. Then when I restarted my player I got the error "0000.3 segfault" during boot up. This made me sad. So what does that error mean?

I searched the FAQ's for hijack and did not find anything relevant. I noticed that one of the hard drives was making a funny clicking sound like it kept resetting the arm. And then when I picked up my player to unplug it and move it, I heard something metal rattling around inside. I guess that means that my master hard drive has crashed? And if so, where is the procedure for me to test or rebuild the hard drive?

Also, and nearly as important, I backed up the database by exporting into a .csv file before I last sync'ed, but if there is a way to retrieve and restore the actual database, I really want to know how to do that (either from one of the hard drives or as a last resort from the csv file). If there is any tool or tools that would allow me to update the stats fields like # times played and skipped, please let me know. I am a Windows user. I have a Linux emulator in a Virtual PC, but I'd really rather stick with tools in Windows if possible. I'd like to at least be able to make backups of the database in the future in the event of data corruption or HD crashes.

Thanks. Any help any of you provide will be massively appreciated.

#303907 - 07/11/2007 16:08 Re: hijack error "0000.3 segfault" during bootup sequence [Re: Hollywood Justin]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
First, are you sure that the rattling you heard isn't the standard rattling that you hear from 2.5" hard drives? Second, check inside the case to see if a screw has come loose and is floating around.

Actually, before any of that, make sure that you do not plug it back in until you've made sure that there isn't a screw loose.

#303908 - 07/11/2007 16:34 Re: hijack error "0000.3 segfault" during bootup sequence [Re: Hollywood Justin]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
I think you just need to nuke the database & playlist files, and then re-sync to rebuild them. Other people here can direct you as to the best way to accomplish that.

Cheers

#303909 - 07/11/2007 17:56 Re: hijack error "0000.3 segfault" during bootup sequence [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Actually, before any of that, make sure that you do not plug it back in until you've made sure that there isn't a screw loose.

Agreed. Click here.

#303910 - 08/11/2007 06:24 Re: hijack error "0000.3 segfault" during bootup sequence [Re: wfaulk]
Hollywood Justin
journeyman

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am reasonably sure that it is the hard drive making that sound because I never heard the player do that before no matter what angle I tipped or carried the player at, compounded with the fact the I was hearing clicking noises coming from the hard drive that I never heard before on this last boot up. I will definitely check to see if there is a screw loose, although I doubt that is the case because the player remained stationary from the time before the problem and during the time when the problem started occurring.

#303911 - 08/11/2007 06:32 Re: hijack error "0000.3 segfault" during bootup sequence [Re: mlord]
Hollywood Justin
journeyman

If I nuke the database, will the player then rebuild the database of its songs during its next bootup?

Which now begs the question, how do I do this? Is it posted in the FAQ's somewhere (hopefully)? And is there anyway to import the playlists and stats again from my .csv file that I have saved?

#303912 - 08/11/2007 12:29 Re: hijack error "0000.3 segfault" during bootup sequence [Re: Hollywood Justin]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
If I nuke the database, will the player then rebuild the database of its songs during its next bootup?

Which now begs the question, how do I do this? Is it posted in the FAQ's somewhere (hopefully)? And is there anyway to import the playlists and stats again from my .csv file that I have saved?

Tony, Bitt ?

#303913 - 08/11/2007 13:41 Re: hijack error "0000.3 segfault" during bootup sequence [Re: Hollywood Justin]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Instructions for deleting and regenerating the database can be found here.